Human Resources Director
Greater Cincinnati Foundation
720 E. Pete Rose Way, Suite 120
Cincinnati OH 45202
Job Type: Salaried, Full-Time
Posted Date: 03/15/2023
Human Resources Director
Pay Range: $95,000-$103,000
Are you looking for a rewarding career fueled by purpose? Do you want our region to be the best it can be? Place and purpose drive our mission, so Greater Cincinnati Foundation (GCF) may be the place for you. As the region’s leading community foundation and one of the most prominent in the nation, we serve an eight-county region of Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana.
We bring together:
• Donors – Supporting causes and organizations that improve our community.
• Nonprofits – Delivering experiences that improve people and place.
• Changemakers – Working to solve our region’s greatest challenges.
Greater Cincinnati Foundation recruits, employs, trains, compensates, promotes and celebrates employees of all races, religions, colors, national origins, sexes, sexual orientations, disabilities, ages, veteran status and all the other characteristics that make individuals unique and extraordinary. At GCF, we have a clear vision: to be an employer of choice where a diverse mix of talented people want to be and can do their best work. GCF exists exclusively to support our community, and we know our organization runs on the hard work and dedication of our passionate and mission-driven employees.
GCF’s values are generosity, greater good, equity, trailblazing and growth. Generosity fuels our work. We exist for the greater good in the region, with equity being our North Star. We embrace our role as a leadership organization that requires vision and trailblazing. Maintaining a growth mind allows us to think big and stay driven.
Our dedication to promoting racial and gender equity, diversity, multiculturalism and inclusion is reflected in our values, behaviors and strategic initiatives. We are fully focused on racial equity as an organization – it is more than a commitment for us, it is the foundation of what we do. Here are a couple of examples of our leadership in this area:
A message from our Governing Board – http://www.gcfdn.org/news/5-million-committed-to-racial-justice/
A message from our CEO, Ellen Katz – http://www.gcfdn.org/news/join-us-in-solidarity/
Job Description and Reporting Relationship
We are seeking a talented HR leader to join our dynamic non-profit organization in Cincinnati. The successful candidate will be a leadership partner in driving our culture, hiring and talent development and learning within GCF in support of our mission, values and our focus on racial equity. The HR leader will be a key business partner to all leaders in the organization, including key leadership team members.
This role will apply HR tools and best practices to address talent acquisition and strategic management challenges while consistently ensuring the effective implementation of HR processes throughout the organization. The leader will need to combine both high-level thinking and hands-on practical implementation. This position requires an integrative personality with exceptional communication skills, a passion for our mission and the ability to bring teams together to solve problems and execute key initiatives efficiently. The HR Director reports to the CFO and leads the HR/Facilities team.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
I. Recruiting and Onboarding
• Own Recruiting processes and execution with emphasis on supporting DEI initiatives.
• Collaborate with departmental managers to understand the skills and competencies required for openings.
• Advertise job postings, source candidates, and screen applicants.
• Work closely with hiring managers to coordinate and maximize recruiting results – both speed and quality of hires.
• Lead internship programs and develop critical relationships with university partners.
II. Employee Relations and Employee Engagement
• Utilize tools to measure employee engagement and satisfaction to improve workplace practices
• Develop and update HR policies, procedures, and employee handbook.
• Lead employee engagement program development
• Learn HR systems and processes already in place and take action to maximize their utilization.
• Coach and counsel across all levels of management to improve organizational effectiveness and employee relations
• Provide support and guidance to management, and other staff when complex, specialized, and sensitive questions and issues arise; may be required to administer and execute routine tasks in delicate circumstances, such as providing reasonable accommodations, investigating allegations of wrongdoing, and terminations.
• Support an environment of health, safety, and wellness through activities, programs, and engagement.
III. Compensation and Benefits
• Work with the accounting and finance team, manage the company compensation and benefits programs, maintain structures and stay on top of competitive pay and retention practices.
• Assist in the annual group health coverage evaluation and implementation of changes.
• Assist with the administration of the company’s retirement savings plan.
• Manage performance review, compensation, payroll and benefit programs and processes.
IV. HR Strategy and Culture
• Implement HR programs and process supporting the GCF culture and its growth initiatives.
• Develop strategies and metrics supporting the development and retention of GCF staff.
• Work with the executive team to identify needed staffing levels, required experience and timing of key hires
V. Compliance and Systems
• Ensure legal compliance with governmental laws and regulations covering labor relations, OSHA, EEOC, safety, wage and hour, and workers’ compensation.
• Provide counsel/advice and guidance to staff and management on legal and regulated matters to mitigate liability.
VI. Facilitation, Training and Employee Development
• Provide new employees with detailed orientation with Facilities Manager to help them transition to the GCF culture.
• Provide leadership training and professional development in support of talent strategies.
• Partner with senior leadership in the development of new talent strategies.
• Create and implement effective talent development and performance management processes. Develop and implement performance management tools and associated tracking
• Develop HR-related training and education programs ensuring professional delivery consistently across the organization
VII. Diversity Equity and Inclusion
• Partner with senior leaders responsible for leading the development, implementation, measurement and monitoring of our organization’s DEI strategic plans and best practices. Develop and execute training initiatives and implement practices that promote and retain a diverse workforce, increase our level of employee engagement, and ensure equitable practices across GCF with responsible senior leaders.
• Work with senior leadership to refine and maintain our guiding principles supporting our DEI initiatives.
• Be innovative in identifying new solutions and programs to support our inclusive work environment, improving key DEI metrics.
• Supervise the Facilities Manager and indirectly oversee the receptionist.
• Work with outside HR consultants in the delivery of programs when specialized knowledge and experience are required
• Maintain knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new technologies in human resources, talent management, and employment law.
Requirements and Qualifications
• A minimum of 7 years of overall prior work experience with a minimum of 5 years of hands-on HR leadership and talent acquisition and development experience.
• Experience working within a fast-paced and growing organization with lean HR resources.
• A demonstrated record of supporting organizational growth through innovative and practical HR solutions.
• Experienced in DEI best practices, process management, continuous improvement and change management preferred.
• A broad understanding of organizational development and the impact of HR’s actions on all parts of the organization.
• Quick learner about the organization, people, and priorities.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Courage to provide candid feedback to executive/senior management on decisions and or practices so that the overall employment experience of the GCF Staff is maximized.
• Ability to make timely and proactive decisions; readily understand organization HR challenges; and develop solutions that effectively address issues.
• Exceptional decision-making skills.
• A history of teaching and developing others.
• Undergraduate degree is required. A current HR Certification (PHR, SPHR, and/or CPC) is preferred but not required.
Wages are negotiable within the competitive salary range set by GCF. The ranges have been established based on organization, industry and national standards. Desired salary expectations will be discussed during the interview process.
This position summary is not to be considered an exhaustive description of the responsibilities which may be required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform key responsibilities. Please note that duties and qualifications of this and all jobs will change as we evolve our services to our community.
Greater Cincinnati Foundation (GCF) recruits, employs, trains, compensates, promotes and celebrates employees of all races, religions, colors, national origins, sexes, sexual orientations, disabilities, ages, veteran status and all the other characteristics that make individuals unique and extraordinary. At GCF, we have a clear vision: to be an employer of choice where a diverse mix of talented peopled want to be and can do their best work. GCF exists exclusively to support our community, and we know our organization runs on the hard work and dedication of our passionate and mission-driven employees.
GCF is a Gold Level certified with Ellequate (Formerly Queen City Certified), the first data-informed employer certification and cohort-based leadership program for gender equity in the U.S. workplace.
If interested, please apply on our website at www.gcfdn.org/careers
Application Deadline: Until Filled
For more information or to apply: