Payroll and Benefits Specialist
2460 Gilbert Avenue
Cincinnati OH 45206
Compensation: $42,000 - $54,000
Posted Date: 09/13/2023
Apply today as a Payroll and Benefits Specialist for ArtWorks to oversee payroll and manage compliance with benefits and safety.
Now in its 27th year, ArtWorks is an award-winning Greater Cincinnati nonprofit that has pioneered public art and economic impact throughout the region to create community-based public art that provides career opportunities for artists of all ages. ArtWorks works alongside community leaders to build civic pride with art that beautifies the region, creating jobs for more than 300 artists annually, including young artists ages 14-24, to earn a living wage.
The economic empowerment and mentorship that ArtWorks provides leads to upward mobility, which is critically important for young people who come from a majority of under resourced and underemployed neighborhoods and households. Since 1996, ArtWorks has employed over 4,000 youth and 3,500 creative professionals. The organization has completed more than 14,000 public and private art works of art, including public sculpture, light-based installations and more than 200 permanent outdoor murals, contributing to the region’s global reputation as an arts destination.
Now headquartered in Walnut Hills, ArtWorks is part of the burgeoning arts district in Cincinnati’s historic second downtown.
Payroll and Benefits Specialist
ArtWorks seeks a Payroll and Benefits Specialist responsible for 1) overseeing and directing payroll procedures, ensuring compliance with laws and tax, 2) assisting employees with benefits enrollment and questions, verifying all insurance billing, maintaining employee database and files, and ensuring compliance with required benefit notices and 3) managing a small-scale safety program including training, policies, and procedures.
- Maintain payroll information through the Paylocity system – directing data collection, calculation, and entry.
- Update payroll records by reviewing and approving changes in exemptions, insurance coverage, savings deductions, and job titles, and department/ division transfers.
- Pay employees by directing the production and issuance of pay by electronic transfers to bank accounts or payroll checks.
- Prepare reports by compiling summaries of earnings, taxes, deductions, leave, disability, and nontaxable wages.
- Determine payroll liabilities by approving the calculation of employee federal and state income and social security taxes, and employer’s social security, unemployment, and workers’ compensation payments.
- Balance the payroll accounts by resolving payroll discrepancies.
- Provide payroll information by answering questions and requests.
- Maintain payroll guidelines by writing and updating policies and procedures.
- Comply with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation, enforcing adherence to requirements, and advising management on needed actions.
- Administer various employee benefits programs, such as group health, flexible spending accounts, dental and vision, accident and disability, life insurance, 401(k), and wellness benefits.
- Conduct benefits onboarding for new hires and complete forms for exiting staff.
- Maintain employee benefits filing systems and ensure benefits changes are entered appropriately in the payroll system for payroll deduction.
- Assist employees with health, dental, life, and other related benefit claims.
- Verify the accuracy of monthly premium statements for all group insurance policies and maintain statistical data relative to premiums, claims, and costs. Resolve administrative problems with the carrier representatives.
- Administer COBRA.
- Review and respond to unemployment claims with appropriate documentation. Review monthly unemployment statements.
- Coordinate workers’ compensation claims with third-party administrators. Follow up on claims.
- Assist in obtaining statistics and information in the renewal process of any health, life, and retirement plans that benefit the company.
- Manage the recruit to onboard and exit process for administrative staff
- Ensure distribution of required employee notices.
- Liaison with IT vendor
- Train Staff on ArtWorks Safety Policies and Procedures.
- Update the Safety Manual and supplemental materials.
- Conduct random safety inspections at active project sites.
- Track inspections and incidents in the Safety Log.
- If needed, complete the 10-hour OSHA General Industry Training.
- Manage Safety supply inventory. Order supplies as needed.
- Manage Inclement Weather policy.
- Manage vendor-sourced training for staff.
- Serve as point of contact for safety improvements.
- Commitment to ArtWorks’ mission, vision, values, culture and Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, Accessibility & Belonging Plan.
- Preference is s BS degree or equivalent work experience in the areas of responsibility.
- Skilled in Payroll/HR systems with a preference for Paylocity experience.
- Two or more years of experience in payroll and benefits.
- Must be willing to work outside of normal business hours when needed.
Compensation & Benefits
- Salary commensurate with experience. Comprehensive employee benefits package includes health insurance, life insurance with AD&D, ST and LT disability, generous paid time off, 401k plan with match, and investment in career development. Vision and dental are provided at employee cost.
- Be part of an amazing mission and make a mark in transforming the Greater Cincinnati region with public art, building community, and investing in young artists.
- Help build a future home for ArtWorks with a site for permanent art studios, galleries, and event space to build a more vibrant community.
- Be part of a dynamic team that embraces a growth mindset and has fun.
- Be part of a collaborative, creative, and flexible work culture that is people-centered.
- Join a team that values diversity, equity, and inclusion in community-centered work that creates positive change.
The Voice of Black Cincinnati is a media company designed to educate, recognize, and create opportunities for African Americans. Want to find local news, events, job postings, scholarships, and a database of local Black-owned businesses? Visit our homepage, explore other articles, subscribe to our newsletter, like our Facebook page, join our Facebook group, and text VOBC to 513-270-3880.
Application Deadline: Until Filled
For more information or to apply: