The Children’s Theatre of Cincinnati
4015 Red Bank Rd
Cincinnati OH 45227
Compensation: $39,000 - $45,000
Posted Date: 11/28/2023
Apply today as a Properties Supervisor for The Childen’s Theatre of Cincinnati.
The Properties Supervisor is a skilled theatrical professional knowledgeable in creating and designing props. The Properties Supervisor is directly responsible for researching, designing, developing, and creating or obtaining all props and rehearsals for TCT MainStage, Academy, and TCT on Tour shows in collaboration with directors, stage managers, and scenic designers of each show. They are also responsible for set dressing for all shows. The Properties Supervisor is also responsible for maintaining and organizing future additions to our property stock and any prop needs associated with promotional appearances or photo shoots.
Many of the properties or rehearsal props required for TCT productions can be pulled from our stock items. The Properties Supervisor must creatively blend existing stock with the design, building props from scratch and purchasing creative solutions to satisfy the director’s vision.
The Properties Supervisor will have access to tools, stock, and facility use in our Scenic Shop, located in St Bernard. All rehearsals occur at 4015 Red Bank Rd until load in at The Taft Theatre in downtown Cincinnati.
Ideal start date: 1/2/2024
The Properties Supervisor will report directly to the Director of Production and work closely with all shop team members.
- They will be responsible for doing progress check-ins with the directors on props and transporting props to and from the TCT shop or rental company, rehearsal studio, and performance location.
- They will repair damaged props as necessary, including during performance runs.
- Working with stage management, they will create necessary prop paperwork and read/respond to rehearsal report prompts.
- Able to create props within a deadline and adhere to the production schedule.
- Shop for necessary materials and be responsible for tracking materials and rental budget.
- Work with power tools and basic electrics, and utilize carpentry, woodworking, foam sculpting, artistic painting, sewing, hemming, and upholstery skills for the properties.
- Coordinate the strike of props and return them to storage or owner. Prior experience with AirTable is a plus.
Minimum and Ideal Qualifications
- BA or equivalent in theatre or equivalent theatrical experience
- Able to safely climb stairs and ladders and use aerial work platforms or man lifts
- Proficiency with power tools, including, but not limited to, table saw, miter saw, jig saw, pneumatic staplers, hand routers, powered sanders
- Working knowledge of electrics and implementing electronic functions
- Basic carpentry, woodworking, and welding (MIG) skills
- Artistic painting experience
- Sewing, hemming, and upholstery skills
- Great sense of humor and a passion for the mission of TCT
- Self-motivated and able to work independently and safely
- Excellent time management skills
- Positive, problem-solving attitude
- A valid driver’s license and experience operating box trucks are a plus.
Compensation and Benefits
- Salary range: $39,000-$45,000
- After a waiting period, health, vision, and dental benefits are available, partially subsidized by employer contributions.
- After a waiting period, 403(b) retirement plan participation is available with eligibility for an employer match after one year of credited service.
- Generous PTO accrual based on years of service.
- Generous paid holiday schedule.
The Children’s Theatre of Cincinnati believes the stories on our stages and our work behind the scenes must reflect the diverse communities we serve. We believe inclusive work cultures spark wide-ranging, exploratory conversations and learning. Therefore, we strongly welcome and encourage people from all backgrounds, identities, abilities, and ages to apply as we continue our commitment to diversity and build an inclusive environment at TCT.
Qualified candidates should submit whatever they feel best reflects their qualifications. This can be a video, cover letter/resume, portfolio, and demo reel. (Files should total less than 3MB; links are welcome). No phone calls, please.
Please submit materials and any references to the Director of Production by Friday, December 8, [email protected], with the subject “Properties Supervisor.”
The Voice of Black Cincinnati is a media company designed to educate, recognize, and create opportunities for African Americans. Want to find local news, events, job postings, scholarships, and a database of local Black-owned businesses? Visit our homepage, explore other articles, subscribe to our newsletter, like our Facebook page, join our Facebook group, and text VOBC to 513-270-3880.
Application Deadline: Until Filled
For more information or to apply: