Resource Development and Communications Manager
1 Aquarium Way
Newport KY 1071
Compensation: $57,000 - $65,000
Posted Date: 08/23/2023
Apply today as a Resource Development and Communications Manager for the WAVE Foundation.
About the WAVE Foundation
WAVE Foundation’s Outreach Education Programs utilize the amazing aquatic wildlife resources of Newport Aquarium to excite, engage, and educate about the wonders of aquatic life and the importance of conservation. WAVE’s programs expand access, increasing the footprint of Newport Aquarium by bringing the ocean to classrooms and other places of learning.
Resource Development and Communications Manager
The Resource Development and Communications Manager is a skilled storyteller with the energy and creativity to take WAVE Foundation’s development and communication efforts to the next level. The Manager takes the lead on cultivating and stewarding individual donors and businesses and is responsible for ensuring effective internal and external communications. They work closely with and actively assist the Executive Director and other staff members to implement the annual fundraising plan and ensure timely cultivation, solicitation, follow-up, and tracking of new and current prospects and donors.
The Manager must be personable, creative, flexible, and highly organized, with excellent development, computer, writing, administrative, and communication skills, innately positive, self-motivated, and a strong desire to make a difference in our aquatic world. They report directly to the Executive Director.
- All aspects of the website, including content, hosting, SEO, plugin updates, security, domain names, and monitoring performance.
- Create original social media posts as determined by the communications plan and as needed. Review communications materials and social media posts generated by other staff members. Engage with social media audience.
- Coordinate materials, design, and delivery of annual reports, monthly newsletters, appeals, press releases, event promotions, and other publications in collaboration with WAVE and Newport Aquarium Staff.
- Collaborate with Newport Aquarium staff to design and distribute various promotional pieces both in print and digitally for programs and fundraising throughout the year.
- Work with staff to develop new and creative ways to reach potential clients, donors, partners, community members, etc.
- With other staff, worked community outreach events, keeping display board updated and relevant to each event.
- Interpret and disseminate all organizational survey results.
- Maintain database to process donor gifts and thank you letters in a timely fashion.
- Steward existing and develop new loyal individual donors.
- Steward existing and develop new corporate donors.
- Manage fundraising event planning, including event marketing and outreach, sponsorships, and in-kind donations for annual events. Events include Crop for Conservation, Putt for Penguins, Nauti Nite, Volunteer Appreciation, River Sweep, and others as determined. Survey event attendees.
- Collaborate with the Executive Director to craft fundraising appeals, edit mailing lists, and organize delivery.
- Work with the Office Manager to maintain the timing and accuracy of pledges and donations.
- Complete bi-monthly Resource Development & Communications report for the Board of Directors.
- Ensure grant reporting is done promptly and accurately, working with program staff and the Executive Director.
- Attend biweekly staff meetings and 1:1 with the Executive Director.
- Attend meetings with Newport Aquarium Staff as needed and serve as an ambassador for WAVE on Newport Aquarium Committees as required.
- Opportunity to become trained as an Animal Handler to share our Animal Ambassadors with the public.
- Other Duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and five years related experience, or equivalent combination of certification and experience. Knowledge of the zoo and aquarium industry is a plus.
- Proven ability to secure donations of all sizes, including annual gifts, monthly donors, major gifts, DAF & planned giving, capital gifts, in kind, and business/corporate.
- A natural writer with the ability to weave several themes into a master narrative. Grant writing and reporting experience are a plus.
- Must be able to work collaboratively as part of a small team.
- Ability to write, edit, and proofread written materials for donor solicitations, member communications, and special events, providing effective messages.
- Experience using various online social media platforms, including Facebook, LinkedIn, and Instagram, as well as social media management platforms.
- Experience with website management.
- Attention to detail, ability to organize, set priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Strong knowledge and proficiency with software. Microsoft Office Suite, WordPress, Constant Contact, Jotform, Survey Monkey, GiveSmart, and Donor Perfect are a plus.
- All Team members share administrative responsibility for the organization, assume new and emerging responsibilities as the organization evolves, and engage in learning opportunities to share new information and knowledge to help inform the organization’s future.
- Successful completion of background check.
- Immunocompetence (possible exposure to infections and parasitic disease).
The Voice of Black Cincinnati is a media company designed to educate, recognize, and create opportunities for African Americans. Want to find local news, events, job postings, scholarships, and a database of local Black-owned businesses? Visit our homepage, explore other articles, subscribe to our newsletter, like our Facebook page, join our Facebook group, and text VOBC to 513-270-3880.
Application Deadline: Until Filled
For more information or to apply: