Emergency Shelter of Northern Kentucky
436 West 13th Street
Covington KY 41011
Compensation: $18 - 18.50 / Hour
Posted Date: 02/01/2024
Apply today as a Volunteer Coordinator for the Emergency Shelter of Northern Kentucky.
The Volunteer Coordinator helps engage the community to advance the shelter’s mission to provide adults experiencing homelessness with a safe, nonjudgmental place where they may meet their basic needs and work to obtain greater housing stability. A primary goal for this position is to increase the number of volunteers in the shelter.
The volunteer coordinator helps the shelter more fully serve guests by finding volunteers to perform essential tasks, work on large and special projects, and most importantly, provide shelter guests with positive social interactions with community members. Primary duties will include recruitment, screening, training, scheduling, and monitoring of volunteers (individual and groups).
Administrative duties will include tracking volunteer hours, writing job descriptions, soliciting volunteer feedback and working with the Operations Manager to determine the shelter’s volunteer needs. Forward-facing responsibilities will consist of responding to volunteer inquiries (email and in-person), meeting and orienting volunteers to the shelter, greeting volunteers when they arrive for shifts or delivering meals, helping direct the work of volunteer groups, and managing the annual recognition and award program.
- Promptly respond to volunteer inquiries.
- Identify volunteer opportunities. Conduct targeted recruitment campaigns for opportunities that require special skills or training. This includes recruiting volunteers to serve during weather emergencies.
- Suggest volunteer policies and procedures as appropriate.
- Create job descriptions for all volunteer opportunities to use for recruitment purposes.
- Orient and provide ongoing training and support to volunteers.
- Solicit volunteer feedback monthly; use this information to improve the program as appropriate.
- Manage the online meal donor calendar, including set up, advertising, and donor follow-up. Strive to fill all meal donor slots.
- As schedule permits, greet meal donors and volunteers when they arrive for their shifts, helping them feel welcome and valued. Serve as point of contact for assistance or troubleshooting.
- Direct the work of volunteer groups when they are in the shelter.
- Work with ESNKY staff so they are prepared to welcome, direct, and recognize volunteers when you are not available.
- Plan and organize annual volunteer appreciation events.
- Participate in community outreach activities as needed.
- Use a donor management system to track volunteer hours. Prepare reports as requested.
- Other administrative and management duties as assigned.
- Associate’s degree in communications or related field from an accredited school or high school diploma/GED equivalent with at least two years of related experience.
- Experience working with volunteers preferred.
- Priority is given to those candidates with a history of volunteerism.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, which focus on customer service.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment requiring lots of social interaction.
- Ability to exercise discretion and make independent decisions aligned with ESNKY’s vision & values of trust, respect, and dignity of everyone who enters our doors.
- Comfortable speaking to large groups.
- Ability to attend offsite events to recruit volunteers.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office 365, Teams, especially Excel, or related data systems.
- Experience with the Little Green Light donor management system is a plus.
- Must be able to lift 20+ lbs.
- Walking, including bending and twisting– 60%
- Sitting – 40%
- Work on the computer several hours a day
Compensation & Benefits
This is a full-time, non-exempt position with a salary range of $18-18.50 per hour. Benefits include paid time off for vacation and illness, eight paid holidays per year, mileage reimbursement for work-related travel, and cell phone reimbursement. Preference will be given to individuals who have qualifications beyond the minimum.
Interested candidates should submit a current resume reflecting educational and work experience to Ruslyn Case-Compton, Office Manager, at [email protected]. References will be requested as part of the employment application.
Emergency Shelter of Northern Kentucky is an equal opportunity employer. Employment selection and related decisions are made without regard to gender, race, age, disability, religion, national origin, color, gender identity, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other protected class.
About the Organization
The mission of the ESNKY is to provide life-saving and life-changing low-barrier shelter and services for adults in our community.
The Voice of Black Cincinnati is a media company designed to educate, recognize, and create opportunities for African Americans. Want to find local news, events, job postings, scholarships, and a database of local black-owned businesses? Visit our homepage, explore other articles, subscribe to our newsletter, like our Facebook page, join our Facebook group, and text VOBC to 513-270-3880.
Application Deadline: Until Filled
For more information or to apply: