ACS NA Ops and Perf Sr Manager (L4)
236 Wendell H Ford
Erlanger KY 41018
Posted Date: 06/28/2022
This position is part of the Americas Cargo division of DHL Aviation – Air Capacity Sales, or “ACS” – which is an organization that sells excess air network capacity to freight forwarders. The ACS Group is a high-growth unit, with revenue tripling in the last three years to well over one billion dollars. ACS is a key contributor to the success of Express, as the ACS proceeds are returned to Express as reduced airline haul costs.
This position is based at CVG and serves as the primary operations interface between ACS and its service providers which include the Express Service Centers, Hubs, NPG, NCG, and the Gateways, as well as other external 3rd party handling and trucking companies. The ACS service organization is a “virtual” organization, so the manager must be comfortable running an operation using internal and external suppliers. The criteria used to evaluate success will be transit performance, capacity utilization, and operational unit costs.
- Operational Planning – Work with ACS service providers to design and implement standard operating processes and service performance objectives
Network Control, Network Planning, Linehaul Planning, and ULD management
- Day-to-Day Operations – Reviews daily service performance. Identifies shortfalls and assists operations on immediate and long-term recovery contingencies.
- Customer management – Personally handles escalated complaints from key account management
- Capacity Planning – Work with Network Planning to determine ACS capacity availability. Translate that information into “inventory for sale” via the ACS capacity management system. Propose and implement new truck routes to supplement air capacity. Work with the hubs and service centers to improve ULD capacity utilization to improve ACS revenue opportunities
- Analysis and Quality Improvement – Develop the data, success metrics, and analytical capabilities needed to measure and improve service performance and reduce unit costs.
- Capacity utilization – Deep analysis of ACS capacity utilization, overnight vs. second day splits, overbooking, etc. for purposes of creating incremental revenue opportunities
- Technology – Function as the US expert on ACS systems. Educate IA ACS users on how to leverage Cognos, TGV, pTGV, and CMS. Convert manual reporting and data capture automated processes. Lead US development requests for system enhancements Manage all Ops technology issues – reliability, access, training, etc.
- Vendor Management – Select and manage directly and/or with the Express Linehaul team the contract and operational performance for all third-party truck (linehaul & hotshot) providers. Measure and improve performance of all 3rd party handling agreements. Develop and measure service performance while reducing unit costs
- Regulatory – Ensure all safety, security, and regulatory requirements are incorporated into ACS in-house and 3rd party operating procedures
- Project Management – Lead large-scale operational projects. Utilize common project management/process improvement tools to deliver and communicate results on time and on budget
- Supervision – work in the project management structure, creating virtual teams of ACS, Express, and 3rd party vendors to deliver results. Permanent resources may be moved under this role
- BA/BS degree required, additional technical training a plus
- 7-10 years of operations experience in the air cargo or Express field. Diversity of front line and staff experience preferred
- Ability to travel 25% + of the time
- Motivated – must be driven and self-guided. Must have a passion for getting things done better and more quickly
- Strength in process management, with experience developing and implementing new initiatives. Some quality improvement experience is desired using one of the leading process improvement formats (1st choice, six sigma, prince2, etc.)
- Quantitative – must “manage by the numbers”. Must have demonstrated strength in developing and utilizing performance measurement processes to improve results. Must be highly competent in compiling data in Excel and be able to perform analysis and draw insights. Access, VB, etc. a plus
- Technology – Prefer someone who has played a leadership role in developing requirements and implementing innovative technology in large organizations
- Communications – must be adept at presenting ideas and concepts to groups in both formal and informal settings
- Project management/change management exposure – Candidate experience working in a project environment, where tasks, owners, and timelines have been developed and managed. Additionally, experience with some formal change management forums is preferred
- Vendor management – experience managing service delivery using a 3rd party vendor – e.g., SLA development, compliance training, vendor scorecard, performance incentives/penalties, etc.
Application Deadline: Until Filled
For more information or to apply: