Professional Advisor - Pre-Nursing
Gateway Community & Technical College
500 Technology Way
Florence KY 41042
Posted Date: 03/30/2022
Gateway Community & Technical College invites applications for a Professional Academic Advisor (Pre–Nursing). This full-time position advises students regarding their academic requirements, career path, and resources. Academic Advisors play a key role in supporting student success by cultivating a welcoming environment for our diverse student population.
- Provide Academic Advising – Responsible for academic advising of the first semester and transfer students in-person, virtually, and at alternate Gateway campuses when needed. Support exploration of the student’s academic and career objectives. Teach students about available tools and resources to improve their academic success. Identify non-academic barriers and offer appropriate internal and external referrals.
- Communicates and Collaborates Effectively – Responsible for establishing and maintaining collaborative and supportive relationships with team, faculty, student support programs, and college offices. Communicate professionally and efficiently with applicants ready for initial advising, assigned advisees, colleagues, and external partners.
- Demonstrate Professional Behavior and Excellent Customer Service – Responsible for effective and appropriate interactions with diverse populations. Provide a high standard of academic advising, excellent customer service, and problem resolution. Seek input from the supervisor, peers, or other areas in the college when necessary, and use good judgment to work effectively under pressure.
- Accurate Recording and Maintenance of Advising Notes – Document students’ educational, career, and transfer goals in PeopleSoft. Create individualized student SMART Plans (Student Mentoring Through Advising, Retention & Transitions). Support advisee transitions to faculty advisors. Provides divisional support for Academic Dean and faculty within the division.
- Supports Academic Advising Department Operations – Promote advancement of academic advising events and training. Responsible to act as interim Academic Advising Department Director when Director is out of the office and assuming daily managerial issues when needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent, in Education, Counseling, or any related field.
- 1 year of relevant experience.
- Experience in and understanding of working with students from diverse populations is preferred.
- Experience working at the community college level is preferred.
- Knowledge of Higher Education Advising is a plus.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Excellent organizational skills; high attention to detail; independent; self-motivated; able to work in a fast-paced, changing environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to communicate with many individuals at all levels throughout the internal college environment and external business and community partners, representing himself/herself professionally and courteously.
- Ability to communicate clearly verbally and, in writing.
- Ability to multi-task, work under deadlines, and prioritize projects to meet deadlines with high levels of efficiency and accuracy.
- Must have extensive computer skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook)
- Exceptional health care, vision, dental coverage for you and your family
- Tuition reimbursement/waiver for you, your spouse, and dependents
- 403(b) retirement plan: a 5% employee contribution receives a 10% employer match
- Employee Assistance Program
Initial review of applicants will begin 15 days from position posting day. Applicants will be notified if selected for an interview.
Shift Type: 1st
Hours Per Week: 37.50
Anticipated start date: April 2022
Application Deadline: Until Filled
For more information or to apply: